worksheet chooser doesn't come up

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM
I've installed on 2 practice computers and pdf mail merge works great. Trying to install it on the final one that will be doing the actual work and it doesn't work. It won't let me choose a worksheet. can anyone help with this?
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Hi there,

I'm glad that you were able to get this application running on your staging machines. I'd be glad to help troubleshoot your issues with the workhorse machine. It seems that the application is breaking down at the point where the program calls a .NET function for opening Microsoft Excel documents as if they were Access Databases. This .NET function has a dependency on either Microsoft Office being installed, or the Microsoft Access Database Engine being installed in Office's place.

Did your staging machines have Microsoft Office installed? I've noticed that there is sometimes an issue when using a 64 bit version of Windows with a 32 bit version of Microsoft Office installed. It's usually solved by installing a 64 bit copy of Office. The serial numbers for Microsoft Office will work for both 32 and 64 bit versions, so upgrading is a fairly straightforward process.

If your staging machines have office installed and your workhorse machine does not - that could also be the issue. The installer should prompt you to install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010. Though, if you only used the binary distribution it wouldn't give you that prompt.

Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

Please provide details about the staging machines' and workhorse machine's OS (Windows 7/Vista/XP, 32/64 bit?), version of Microsoft Office (if it's installed), and which PDF Mail Merge download you are trying to use.
Jan 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Thank you for your time.

This is a Windows 7 64 bit machine with Windows 7 and Office 365. The other machines that did work are a Vista 32 bit with Office 2007 and a Windows 7 32 bit with Office 365. I think it may be the 64 bit that may be throwing things off.

The program does come up, it does let me browse for the info, but when I push the button and expect the worksheet info, it doesn't do anything. I've installed the database engine as you've instructed. I'm not sure what else I can try.

thanks again for your help.
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Alright, I have tested Windows 7 64-bit with Office 2010 64 bit installed, and it worked. I have had reports that Windows 7 64-bit fails with Office 32-bit installed, even with the Microsoft Access Database Engine (64-bit) installed. It seems that the Access Database Engine is completely ignored by .NET framework when Office is installed.

You didn't tell me which version of architecture Office 365 you have installed. My guess is you've installed a 32-bit version of it, please open Word or Excel and visit the file/help tab to confirm which version you've installed. If this is the case, you will need to run the 32-bit version of PDF Mail Merge to have a chance of it working, but the better option is to upgrade Office to match your system's architecture.

I have not tested this for compatibility with Office 365, and while I don't expect any issues with it - that could present one.
Jan 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Office 365 defaults to the 32 bit version automatically. I actually tried that first with the 64 bit computer. no luck. Then i uninstalled everything, and reinstalled the 64 bit version (hard to find), but it still didn't work.

I'm not sure which version of pdf mail merge I've got. the "about" only says version 1.0.0.0. I'd be happy to try out different scenarios with this machine if you'd send me links to both 64 bit and 32 bit version of your program and then I could let you know what's happening with each.

thanks!
Gail

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM
You can find all distributions here:
https://pdfmailmerge.codeplex.com/releases/view/109523

If you downloaded PDF Mail Merge with a big purple "download" button, or got it from some mirror service it's probably the 32-bit version.

At the page above, there are binary distributions which do not "install" PDF Mail Merge. I would suggest running those as quick tests if you already have Microsoft Office installed. For others that may read this in the future, if you don't have Office installed you should use the setup installer so that it can also install the correct version of Microsoft Access Database Engine (though, nothing is stopping you from installing Access Database Engine yourself to run the binary independent of the setup installer).

I'll look at adding in a version indicator to the about screen so that you can quickly determine which version of PDF Mail Merge is running.

As I mentioned before I have not tested this with Office 365 - it'll take awhile before I can gather the resources/time to start supporting it officially.

Keep me updated.
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Thanks! I downloaded the PDF Mail Merge Setup (x64) file and after uninstalling the old copy it worked perfectly with my 64 bit office 365. Thanks much of helping!

Gail

Marked as answer by TigerC10 on 1/15/2014 at 3:37 PM
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM
That's great! I'm glad you got it working.