Named Groups Of Cells?

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I downloaded the program, put in the data spreadsheet, the pdf template, the save path and the file name format, I hit merge, it asks for which sheet, i select the sheet, although the last letter is missing in the sheet name, hit select, and then nothing happens. Please help
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM
I'm sorry about your difficulties, and I think the problem is related to what you mentioned about the last letter being missing from the spreadsheet chooser.

In Microsoft Excel (versions 2002-2010), all spreadsheet names end with a '$', it's just that Excel hides this from you. PDF Mail Merge attempts to handle this by removing the last letter from the name of the sheet. After selecting the sheet you want, it (in the background) appends another '$' symbol to the end to get at the correct data inside the sheet you specified.

There are two reasons you could be missing the last letter of your spreadsheet. 1) Whatever program you used to create the spreadsheet did not insert the '$' at the end of the spreadsheet name. 2) The last letter of your spreadsheet could be a '$' and it's getting wiped out with the auto-appended '$' that Microsoft Excel puts in.

I have not tested PDF Mail Merge for compatibility with Office 365. I have also not tested PDF Mail Merge with Excel documents created by non-microsoft products (such as OpenOffice/LibreOffice, Google Docs, iWork/iCloud or some other application/website that "exports" excel spreadsheets).

Can you tell me which application (and its version number) you used to create the Excel document?
Feb 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM

We have Microsoft Excel 2010 installed, and that is also what I used to create the document.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I've looked at the Excel document you sent me, and it appears to be corrupted in some way. When I look at the sheets in Excel, I only see 3 sheets - and the data exists on Sheet 1. However, when I open the sheet's data with .NET, I see 4 sheets, the fourth of which is named "Test". I've tried to open the document in another editor besides Office and I am unable to find the sheet named "Test", but the sheets are severely smaller than what Excel reports (about 20 rows by 5 columns). Very odd indeed.

For the time being, my recommendation is to ensure that if you are on a 64 bit copy of Windows, make sure you are using a 64-bit copy of Microsoft Office and the 64-bit version of PDF Mail Merge. I'm going to continue to run some tests on this document and see if I can find the true cause. Just about every complaint/issue I've had from people saying that "nothing happens" stems from incompatibilities between 64 and 32 bit software. These users have a 64 bit copy of Windows and a 32 bit copy of Microsoft Office installed (because Office defaults to a 32-bit install even on 64-bit Windows).
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM

According to the properties section I looked at on excel and windows, both say 64 bit, and I downloaded the 64 bit PDF mail merge

Test is the name of the a1:f3 quadrant

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Edited Mar 17, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I see what you did now, I suppose the $ symbol in the sheet names is a sentinel to indicate a full fledged sheet vs. a named group of cells. I've never used/seen named groupings before, so I will need to modify the application to support them. In the meantime, can you try removing the named group of cells and running the application against the full sheet instead? I can run the test on it later, but if you can run the test more quickly it may work out for you (at least temporarily).

EDIT:
I've renamed this thread to match the issue brought up in the discussion so I can keep track of it better. I've also created an issue for adding the necessary support for named groups of cells.