Multiple Documents In Single PDF File?

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM
so far this is looking very promising, I have ran into an issue I can not figure out

I have a PDF file of a post card, this file displays the postcards as 4 up in a single file.

WHen I add the fields in acrobat I am using the same field names for each of the 4 locations but when I merge it uses a single record to populate the 4 fields in the single file.

Is there a way around this so I have 4 unique records per pdf file? maybe adjusting the naming of the fields?
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM
I can't get a handle on what you're trying to describe, can you send some sample documents (PDF + Excel) to me? If you would prefer to do so privately, you can use the contact form on my profile page.
Mar 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM
the pdf is a 2 page pdf with 3 postcards in a 3-Up layout. The back of each postcard needs to get populated with mailing address from excel file.

When I attempt the mail merge the back is populated but all 3 postcards has the same person

http://imgur.com/SXF5dls

does that make more sense??
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Okay, I think I understand what you're trying to do now.

The short answer is that this is not how the application is designed to work.

If your goal is to "save paper" and put multiple documents in a single PDF, then you must change the names of the replicated fields for said additional documents. In other words, your excel document (ON A SINGLE ROW) must have multiple name columns like "customerName1", "customerName2", "customerName3" and so on and so forth with any additional fields like address and such also following similar naming schemes. This means every row in excel must have the same number of records as you have documents in the PDF. In your case, you have 3 postcards in a single PDF - so each row in excel must have 3 names and 3 addresses to fill into the document. Then in your PDF document you would have different names on each of the fields to match the 3 different records.

When PDF Mail Merge goes to fill in values in a PDF document, it will fill ALL FIELDS that carry the same name with the same value. This behavior WILL NOT be changed because it cannot be changed. The PDF format cannot contain different values for fields with the same name because the data gets linked based on the form's field names.

EDIT:
I changed the name of the thread to be more descriptive for anyone else attempting to do the same thing. Also marking this post as the answer.
Marked as answer by TigerC10 on 3/24/2014 at 12:33 PM
Mar 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM
That makes sense, going to rework the PDF form and the data file and try again.

Is there way with your program to combine the merge into a single file or at least flatten the output of the pdf files?
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I currently don't have support for flattening the PDF. That would actually require a second pass over each PDF which will literally double the processing time. I can add support for flattening, so I'll go ahead and create an issue for it. May need to warn the user that it could take longer to process with flattening enabled.

Technically I can also combine all of the output PDFs into a single PDF document - but they will be merged together as separate pages (not multiple documents on a single page). Your printing service should be capable of printing multiple pages on a single page though. Again, I will create an issue for this feature request.

I'm still looking to address a larger bug pertaining to named groups of cells - so it may be awhile before an update to the application is released.

For the time being, if you have an application to edit the names of the fields in the PDF document, you can also combine multiple files into a single file as well - which you can then flatten once all of the pages have been added to a single document.

EDIT:
Linked to respective issues.
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:53 PM
making the changes in the form fields and data file worked.

I only asked about flattening or combining the files because when i use acrobat to try to combine the files from the merge files it combines all the fields into one so I have a large document with multiple pages with the same info from the merge.

If I flatten the merge files and then combine it works perfectly but is going to be time consuming on my end opening each one separately to flatten the forms before combining
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2014 at 11:03 PM
In the short run, you can select all of the PDFs in the folder, the right click and "print" them - but instead of printing to a printer you can send them to PDFs and it should flatten them more quickly.