Multiple PDF Output?

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:28 AM

I'm using the 64 bit versions of Windows 7, MS Office 2010, and PDF Mail Merge.

The program creates just two documents when it runs. I have set up a test spreadsheet with 30 entries and two columns of data (one field to be imported and one field to be inserted into the created file name format).

When the program runs, it creates a single PDF that has the same name as the test PDF and contains the first line item from my database properly inserted. It also creates a second PDF, using the output file name format, that contains the last item in the list of 30 import fields.

I expected to get 30 unique PDF files. Am I expecting the wrong thing? What am I doing wrong?
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Have you tried running PDF Mail Merge with the sample files listed on the home page? Does it work for you that way? Is your data organized in a similar fashion to the example Excel document?

If the sample works for you, and you have organized your data in the way that the sample Excel document uses then it sounds like your output filename is not unique. If PDF Mail Merge is instructed to make the output filename the same as a PDF generated previously, it will overwrite the existing PDF with the new data. You say you've only got 2 columns in this Excel document; I'm not sure what you mean by "one field to be imported" vs. the field to be inserted - but whichever field you're using in the filename format field MUST contain UNIQUE values or else you will overwrite your PDFs.

Again, try running the sample files on the home page to see how those work.
Sep 8, 2014 at 5:46 AM
Okay, I'm learning as I go and your questions have triggered some additional thoughts.

Yes, I tried it first with the sample data and I was confused because I didn't get any output at all. After my first try, the TestTemplate.pdf file was unchanged and there were no additional files generated. However, I just ran it again with some text in the "File Name Format" field, and generated 10 individual files. Based on the instructions, I didn't think I was required to put anything in this field. It looks like I was mistaken.

In my own test database, I have one column that contains names and titles, and a second column with just the name without the title. My plan was to insert the Name and Title into the PDF and have the program insert just the Name into the actual filename for each document. I used the format "Test {name}" for the "File Name Format", but I only got one file back with a unique name in it. I just ran it again using simply "Test" in the "File Name Format" and it produced 30 unique documents. Which is good, but I need the individual names in the PDFs.

And then looked at my test spreadsheet again. I had the Name and Title in Column A and just the name in Column E. So I went back and cut Column E and inserted it as Column B, then ran it again. This turned out to be the trick for me as it generated 30 individual documents, with the Name and Title that I inserted into the file matching the Name inserted into the title of the document. Success!

Many thanks! I believe my problem is solved!
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM
The output file name format field is not required... Interesting that you say it is. I don't think I have heard anyone encounter that issue before.

Glad you figured it out though.