Merge Filter

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Is there a way to merge only filtered rows of data from an Excel document? Currently, I filter all data by a certain column in Excel and copy and paste those filtered rows into a new Sheet and then merge the data from the copied sheet. It would be very helpful if I knew how to filter straight from PDF Mail Merge so no copying and pasting is needed for each and every merge. Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2014 at 11:12 PM
You don't need to get crazy with the copy/paste like you're doing. Any extra data in the sheet is ignored - so as long as the column headers match the field names in the PDF it should be fine.

But to answer your question more directly mikedespn had a method to do this, sort of. The idea is that by selecting the columns in the excel document, you can create something called a "named group" of cells. This creates something like a "virtual sheet". However, PDF Mail Merge does not currently support named groups of cells - this is due to the hidden '$' char at the end of the sheet names. So, I need to modify the app to handle it. It wouldn't take long, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Mar 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Thank you for your response. I don't mind extra unused columns but rather superfluous rows of data creating unneeded merge .pdf files. Currently I filter by column, copy the rows I need, paste them into a new sheet, and then merge off the new sheet thus leaving out any rows that I do not want merged. I don't need to name a group of cells but rather have the PDF Mail Merge skip over rows in the Data Spreadsheet.

The program is a great help. Thank you for your work.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Oh now I understand what you were getting at - filtering the rows as opposed to filtering columns. Filtering like that would be a really large task to add into the applet, the UI elements required would have to essentially make the program into Excel.

But if you filter all of your rows down and create a named group of cells, the named group will exclude the the rows that weren't filtered down. I think this would be the best option for you - that is, once I add support for named groups of cells to the application. I've created an issue for adding the necessary support.