PDF format

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Hi, I have a fillable form from the Canadian government named T2200. The format is not similar as your test template. The fillable area is under the item name line instead of the right side of the item name. How do I create mail merge in that PDF form?
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM
Hi Pingsun,

It does not matter where the fields are located - what matters is what the (hidden) name of the fillable field is. The fillable fields in PDFs must have names - and as long as your excel document column headers match the names of the fields it will fill the data. In theory, I could choose to have a PDF with no labels at all for the fields - PDF Mail Merge would continue to work.

I don't normally do this, but I downloaded a copy of the T2200 (t2200-fill-13e.pdf) and exported the blank data fields. Here is an XML document that holds the data fields you need to populate:
https://gist.github.com/TigerC10/8076aced5b932a1f8b68

So at first glance, it seems like you may need an excel document that has column headers named:

Last_Name_Fill, First_Name_Fill, Home_Address_Fill, etc. Your excel document would look something like this:
+---+----------------+-----------------+-------------------+
| 1 | Last_Name_Fill | First_Name_Fill | Home_Address_Fill |
| 2 | Smith          | John            | 123 St.           |
| 3 | Beanstok       | Jack            | ABC St.           |
You can go to the XML document I linked to earlier to find out what the names of the other columns should be.

A lot of times fillable PDF forms downloaded from governments are horrendous with field names. But at least this one looks like it was created professionally. I can't really help you figure out exactly what your excel document needs to look like, but hopefully this helps you figure things out for yourself.